Thursday, October 5, 2017

Remembering our Island Life

Eight months ago was our last post. I left you hanging with us returning to the boat and enjoying our last hurrah on Tarka. I obviously wish I had been a diligent little blogger like some people I know (Bryan Rolfe (the new owner of Tarka)(The Adventures of Tarka)) because the memories of that fleeting time have already faded some and I would love to look back on an already written blog and try, even just for a moment, to re-live that magical time. When we owned the boat it really didn't seem like that big of a deal. Totally routine to swim every single day in the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Caribbean Islands while simultaneously trying to hide from the brilliant ever present tropical sun. I told myself almost everyday that when it was all over the one thing I didn't want to have done was 'taken it for granted'. Well lemme tell ya, that is hard to do. Because you can't open your eyes wider to see more, or inhale deeper to smell more, or smile bigger to have more fun. The only thing you can do is appreciate the moment you're in and not sweat the small stuff. And when it's your everyday life, that is much easier said than done.

I must admit, I find it hard to imagine the state of the islands now after having been ravaged by hurricanes Irma and Maria. What a heartbreaking reality, having the place you know and love be changed forever - not so much for me, but for the lovely people who call the islands 'home'.  

A warm welcome from our friends Jodi and Matt who put us up on St. Thomas before Jon's folks arrived <3

A tropical Christmas in the USVI's with Jon's family! We sure missed Alyssa and Charlie though :)

Exploring Little Thatch Island with some lovely friends.

Jon washing his hands after working on the engine. I do not think he misses this...

Horseback riding in Vieques after a dolphin filled sail from St. Thomas with Jodi and Val.

One of many island perks.

Exploring Puerto Rico  

A Medalla date in Old San Juan

My Las Vegas family in the BVI's! 

Courtney and Jason in the USVI's! Together we circumnavigated St. John.

One of the hardest parts of transitioning is saying goodbye to friends. Here we are with Adam and Kelly on our last morning in the Virgin Islands. Later that day we picked up my brother Josh who had flown into St. Thomas and the three of us sailed away heading for St. Martin. More about that in the next blog :)


1 comment:

  1. Clarification post! I really like and appreciate your efforts, thank you for sharing useful knowledge about blog strategy I heard I like

    កាលេងស្លត់អន់ឡាញ How To play slot online

    https://ufa88incombodai.blogspot.com/
    https://happyufa88gameonline24h.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete