Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Holiday at the Lind's

Season's greetings everyone!

As I sit here in Las Vegas and reflect on the happenings of the holiday season, I can't help but wonder why we didn't seek out warmer winters sooner. Juliet and I were both born and raised in Minnesota and so developed a certain tolerance to cold weather. The snow, cold, and limited daylight hours have all been an integral part of our winter experience.

Not anymore.

The weather forecast for this week in Las Vegas would be steep competition for the best of Duluth's August weather. I now believe that Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years were all created to help alleviate Seasonal Depressive Disorder for those folks living in the North. Thanksgiving preps you for a month that only gets colder and darker. From Thanksgiving until Christmas you can focus on all of the nice things about the holidays. It's like playing with a stuffed animal in front of a baby right before you give it a shot.

By the time New Year's rolls around we have become acclimated to the environmental changes. We think about all the things we could do in the snow. Yes, this is definitely the year I pick up (circle all that apply) cross country skiing, curling, hockey, skijoring (whatever the heck that is), winter camping, or other ____________ (please specify). So every year, right about January 2nd, I find myself standing in Play It Again Sports trying to convince myself that this will be the year I get into some new past time to take my mind off of the season while giving me an excuse to get outdoors and away from runny-nosed, germ-ridden kids, coworkers, and friends who can't seem to get the hang of covering their mouths as they hack up slimy green phlegm.

Unfortunately for those in Minnesota, winter is longer and colder than in most other parts of the country and it's a long haul from New Year's until the snow starts melting in April. That's why if I'm elected president, I will create a holiday half way in between this otherwise barren stretch of winter (no, Valentine's day doesn't count. If you have a significant other it is extremely stressful, and if you don't have a significant other it is extremely depressing.  A class action lawsuit against Hallmark may be in order). This new holiday will be sometime in the middle of February. Say February 13th, which (by random chance), happens to be my birthday. Yep, I'll make my birthday a national holiday which will still be one of the least selfish acts coming from Washington recently.

But being away from home for the holidays can be tough. It is generally the one or two times per year where you hustle around and get to say hi to everyone. Sure, it's stressful to make all the rounds at the time, but when I look back on holidays past I really only recall the good things about everyone being together in one place.

A Minnesota winter also gives you the excuse to curl up next to a fire and spent an entire day just reading a book. It slows down life a little and makes you plan ahead for the spring. It gives you an opportunity to explore the world through an entirely different and beautiful lens- one in which faint rabbit tracks meander in and out of snow covered pines and sinking knee-deep into a snow drift sparks memories of childhood.

So, while we sit here in t-shirts and apply sunscreen frequently, remember that those long and harsh Minnesota winters are truly special and offer unique opportunities. Hey, maybe this is the year you can pick up one of those really fat-tired bikes that can be ridden on ski trails, or get into ice fishing, or go winter scuba diving in Lake Superior, or do the polar bear plunge, or....  Happy Holidays!!!

A camera upgrade - Oh Happy Day!

Antie Cheryl gets a dust buster

The new camera being put to use

The ol' holiday football watching

Making sasage with Uncle Kurt

I was very excited to get to help

2 comments:

  1. hey,

    you can add another one to the list of "things to do to pass time in the long Minnesota winters....." Brewing beer! Can't wait.

    Thanks again for the kit.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buddy the dog loves the Minnesota winters. He went on many hikes when I was home for break. I don't share his love for the cold and snow, but I appreciate his enthusiasm.

    I am going to call you back soon! I promise.

    Love,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete